Thursday, January 06, 2005

Compliments

My colleague told me yesterday:" hey mei, I like your shoes, very nice!" I replied her:" thank you. I like this shoes too!" If it was the Mei in years back, I would say:" nolah, this is just a regular pair of shoes". I didn't know how to accept someone's compliment until I start realising that it is a pleasure to have someone to praise you! Instead of denying it, I start accepting it and thank the person as well.
Many people (maybe especially chinese?) might think that it shows that you are humble if you deny compliments from others. But why? Why not accept it if you really deserved it? There is a funny part of it, if I praise a friend, ( yes, you know who you are) she would say:" I know ah!" Emm..... maybe this is a little over confident? hehehe....
It is a real happy to get compliment from someone. So, do the same to people who you think deserve some sincere compliments from you too!

2 comments:

shErmInE said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
shErmInE said...

Since i came to Japan, i was praised by Japanese all the times. Most of the them praise when they are amazing that you can speak their language "wow, you speak japanese very well"(although i cannot speak so fluently),sometimes they praise you when u've done some good jobs(actually it isn't a tough job),and sometimes they even praise you just for your good manner or attitude ...sigh, it's very tired to be praised by Japanese because most of them paying you compliments for not meaning it. I realised that it's just an act of Japanese's courtesy. No matter what they see, they will yell out "kawaiiiiiii!!", no matter what they eat, they will say" oishii !!!"...This is really different to our culture, as we say it when we mean it. I still remember that when i was having dinner in a japanese restaurant, i criticized the food which i dislike, my japanese friends were shocked when they heard i said "it's not tasty at all ." ........Well, i wonder is it good to give compliment just to delight others no matter you really mean it or not?