Sunday, January 02, 2005

My new year eve - part 1

This year new year eve wasn't the same for many people. With the cancellation of most major new year celebration, everyone could probably take this chance to have a quiet new year eve to look back everything happened and plan fot the coming year.
I was truly in deep sorrow when reading every single word on the newspaper regarding the tsunami disaster. I was once thought that we are so lucky to be born in M'sia, a land that free of major disaster. But after this incident, I no longer have the same thinking. At the end of the day, we are all under one "sky".
Some friends spent their new year eve helping up to sort out donated items at a temple overnight. I was there on the Friday afternoon too. I was once quite hesitate to step in, thinking that it might be too awkward to go in to offer help. When I saw the crowd heading to the temple to show their generosity, I know I made the right decision. Everyone was there to help whatever they could. I never seen a scene like this. I'm so proud with our nation. There are some scene which are quite touching. A mid 40s lady drove to the temple alone. On the back seat of the old car, there was a packet of rice, and few bags of old clothes to be donated to the tsunami victims. She was dressed in her working clothes, with stain and dirt on her own clothes. I realised that the financial status does not reflect the generosity of an individual. Some friends of mine who are quite well off don't even give a damn to all the call of donation. Maybe it takes them soem time to realise the "need of givng out the helping hands". The evening when i stepped out from the temple, another question arises in my mind: will all these items reach the victims soon? Dragging my tired and smelly(with sweat) body went into the car, i refused to think further, and wish all these will reach the people in need soon.

2 comments:

Eu Sean said...

Mei, I gotta tell you this... You made the right decision and was a righteous action. Regardless in time when the donations will arrive at the right place at the right time, you know you did your part to help the unfortunates!

*mei* said...

I agree with you too, as long as I've done my part. I wish more people can share the happiness of giving.